tech technology media reviews breakthrough documentary film video youtube sookie 416style television Susanne Jespersen visual researcher photographer writer

21.10.06

Getting Published in Variety


TIFF Variety
Originally uploaded by 416style.
Before the Toronto film festival I was asked to come up with a piece on nightlife hotspots for Variety's Daily - Gotham edition. That meant doing some serious research and took me to new places like Ultra and Sonic while also catching up on the scene at old favourites like Footwork. Sitting down with the manager of Czehoski's was eye-opening. The converted butcher shop and former mob-hangout has now become one of my favourite after-work hangouts.

The experience of getting published was exhilarating but also at times very trying. My first write-up was my best I still think but didn't fall in line with what blogTO wanted and since they'd hooked up the special Toronto section in the Daily mag I had to follow suit. I was told my writing was too Toronto Life so I had to change it into first person and drop some of the glam spots I was covering. Not all places I covered were my choice and that's fine, but it can be hard to profile and promote somewhere I wouldn't necessarily hangout.

When I finally got my edition by chasing around film fest HQ - The Sutton Place - and nearby restos, I wasn't thrilled to see my name spelled wrong and my nickname turned into a cutsey nickname I wouldn't even let my boyfriend call me. However, it's still an honour and a valuable experience toward my goal of freelance writing. I'd do it again - even if they do call me Snookie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home