tech technology media reviews breakthrough documentary film video youtube sookie 416style television Susanne Jespersen visual researcher photographer writer

4.7.05

Chopsticks and Video Blogging - An Adventure in Tokyo

See video below - needs Ant or Quicktime and about a minute of your patience to load.

Took a great course tonight at LIFT (Liaison of Independant Filmmakers of Toronto) which showed the ropes of video blogging, a relatively new phenomenon. Straight forward and fun, it's a great way to get your DV showed to an audience. I learned about the many resources for hosting video like ourmedia and internetarchive and then was able to post something I cut in final cut pro just yesterday. It's my first piece, so be easy on me.

Below is "Chopsticks", a piece I shot while travelling from Kobe to Tokyo, Japan on the Bullet Train. On the train we debate the art of chopstick eating, then we visit the Tokyo Fish Market where I get a humbling lesson on proper sushi eating technique.



Please click on image to start viewing video.

I want to show you the original here, and point out that I used the suggested FCP Express codec or compression: mpeg4. In the class, the instructor Lukas Blakk showed us a downloadable compression tool that works much better: 3ivx. Mpeg4 actually distorted the shape of the video, making our heads a bit elongated, and the pixelation was so much that the great Mount Fuji is barely discernable. So in the next video installment I'll show you the difference, a video compressed with 3ivx. The quicktime file with 3ivx may take longer to start but the quality of visual will be worth it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a free easy video hosting site/blog. It pretty much covers this post related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

07:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home