tech technology media reviews breakthrough documentary film video youtube sookie 416style television Susanne Jespersen visual researcher photographer writer

25.11.05

DIY - Laser Etched Powerbook


my laser etched powerbook
Originally uploaded by pt.
I'm in the market for a new toy and was looking through Apple's site all morning comparing Powerbooks to iBooks when I came across this awesome do-it-yourself laser etched powerbook featured in Make magazine. Everyone keeps telling me the iBook is a better value but I just don't think you can beat the coolness factor of the mac Powerbook. When I see editors and graphic designers bring them to work I can't help but “oooo” and “ahhh”. They look fantastic, and now knowing I can personalize the mac with my own etched design makes it all the more desirable. Sure I'd be blowing at least CDN$3000 (all in) but won't it be worth it?

When I came across Make magazine recently I was impressed with a number of other DIY toys and projects, particularly some which feature iPods and Altoids tins, and there was a great link to useful information on getting video from your ipod onto your TV. Check it out for yourself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Juxtapose said...

There is no doubt that the PowerBook G4 is more powerful than an iBook G4, however you are paying a lot more for it, nearly double.

If you compare the two, both having 1 GB of Ram, essentially you get a slightly faster processor, a 3-inch bigger screen, and a much more powerful video card in the PowerBook.

However, if all you want to do is surf the web and word process, then really the iBook is the obvious choice.

If you want to video edit (say with Final Cut), or play a graphics hog game like Doom 3, then go for the PowerBook.

Remember, if you overkill on your purchase now, that leaves less cash for upgrading later.

17:45  
Blogger sookie said...

yeah edit, yeah games, yeah more speed.

12:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home